(Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:00:54 +0000)
Time to start planning for Spring! Order forms are available for the 2015 Northern Panhandle Conservation District Tree and Plant Sale. Order Deadline is March 13. http://www.wvca.us/districts/npcd.cfm
WVCA - Northern Panhandle District
(Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:20:06 +0000)
Good recordkeeping benefits small farms - Farm and Dairy
Clear, consistent record keeping is much easier and more efficient than rustling through a box of receipts at tax time.
(Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:01:03 +0000)
(Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:25:22 +0000)
Bay Backpack helps educators inspire students to protect, restore Chesapeake Bay - Chesapeake...
Bay Backpack helps educators inspire students to protect, restore Chesapeake Bay - Chesapeake Bay Program
What are Invasive Plants?
(Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:48:44 +0000)
Of the approximately 2,500 species of plants known to occur in the wild in West Virginia, about 72 percent are native or occurred in West Virginia before the time of substantial European settlement. The other 28 percent, over 700 species, are not native to West Virginia, having been introduced from other states or countries. Non-native plants have been introduced for erosion control, horticulture, forage crops, medicinal use, and wildlife foods. They have also been introduced simply by accident. Most of these species never stray far from where they are introduced (gardens, urban areas, agricultural fields), yet some become very invasive and displace native plants in woodlands, wetlands, and other natural areas. These non-native invasive species are one of the greatest threats to the natural ecosystems of West Virginia.
Potomac Highlands Cooperative Weed and Pest Management Area
The Potomac Highlands Cooperative Weed and Pest Management Area (CWPMA)is a partnership between federal, state, and local agencies, community associations, non-profit organizations, and private land owners aimed at coordinating efforts and programs for addressing the threat of invasive species. CWPM…
Here is information about grant opportunities from W.Va. American Water. Please share with your partners. Grant request can be up to $10,000 but they encourage proposals in the $1,000 - $2,500 range. The deadline for applications is March 13, 2015. Visit the website below for more information
(Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:41:45 +0000)
Environmental Grant Program
At American Water, we are committed to protecting the environment in the communities we serve and are proud to support the efforts of local organizations who share our vision.
We will present the WVCA FY16 budget request to the Senate Finance Committee today at 3:45 pm. http://ow.ly/HHO7N
(Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:39:24 +0000)
Senate Finance Committee - Agenda
We're at Agriculture and Conservation Day at the Capitol. If you're in the area stop by and see us.
(Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:10:17 +0000)
What we're reading...
(Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:39:42 +0000)
Determined Keyser officials are able to keep grant
KEYSER -- Aggressive intervention by the mayor of Keyser preserved a grant critical to construction of the city's new sewage treatment plant, allowing the
The 2014 WVCA Annual Report is now available. In it you can find program highlights from 2014 such as "Teaming up with fifth-graders to protect the South Branch of the Potomac River" and other great highlights from our work in 2014. http://ow.ly/HmOHG
(Wed, 14 Jan 2015 13:40:11 +0000)
Listen to Jeff Cook, co-owner of Cook Brothers Farm in the Greenbrier Valley Conservation District, describe his experience with the WVCA Agriculture Enhancement and Nonpoint Source Program.
(Tue, 13 Jan 2015 23:24:33 +0000)
WVCA Agriculture Enhancement & Nonpoint Source Program
Listen to the three finalists for the W.Va.Conservation Farm of the Year contest talk about their farming operations and philosophy. The winner of the 2014 Conservation Farm of the Year contest was Bill and Todd Butler of Butler Farms located in Inwood, WV.
2014 W.Va. Conservation Farm of the Year Finalists
(Tue, 06 Jan 2015 20:54:25 +0000)
12 Things Not To Put In Your Compost Pile - Open Permaculture - Permaculture Design Course
Compost is one of the permaculture gardener’s most potent tools. It recycles “waste” from the garden and the home and turns it into a material rich in nutrients, which soils benefit from immensely. Composting essentially means the decomposition of organic matter by enzymes and microorganisms. This d…
(Tue, 06 Jan 2015 20:52:34 +0000)
Bay Journal - Article: Chesapeake Bay health not improved from 2012, according to CBF
CSS only mobile first navigation
(Tue, 06 Jan 2015 13:22:07 +0000)
Macroinvertebrate Monday: Have you made a set of Critter Cubes yet? Find instructions and templates at www.creekfreaks.net/library